During the summer Wolff believed terms had been agreed for Ocon to move to Renault next year, before the team surprised the paddock by signing Daniel Ricciardo from Red Bull.
“They say only fools are optimistic and in July I was really optimistic about having Esteban in a Renault,” said Wolff.
“So I don’t know. It’s not our call. Williams need to make up their mind who they think is the best driver for the team.”
Williams’ current driver Sergey Sirotkin and test driver Robert Kubica are among the likely contenders for a place alongside Russell.
“It’s not only Esteban,” Wolff admitted, “there is Robert in the frame and others and all of them deserve the chance. Williams will make their choice.
“We are prepared for Plan B with Esteban. One thing I can guarantee is that he’s going to be in a good car in 2020 because there’s many teams out there that have an interest in Esteban.”
Ocon has did not want to sign a multi-year deal with Williams as Russell has as he wants to be ready to take advantage of opportunities which may become available in 2020.
Force India indicated on Sunday the team will run Lance Stroll, who is expected to take Ocon’s place, in the end-of-season test at Yas Marina. Stroll is the son of Lawrence Stroll, who led a group of investors which took over Force India in August.
View the current list of 2019 F1 drivers and teams
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2019 F1 season
- McLaren Racing reports reduced £71 million loss in 2019
- Kvyat: Hockenheim podium last year was “my biggest achievement” so far
- How the FIA’s new encrypted fuel flow meter targets Ferrari’s suspected ‘aliasing’ trick
- “He smashed my office door”: 23 must-see moments from ‘Drive to Survive’ season two
- ‘I should have done a better job. There’s things that I know I can do better’