Sergio Perez picked up two penalties during the Chinese Grand Prix.
|Kamui Kobayashi||Sergio Perez|
|Qualifying time comparison (Q2)||1’36.236 (+0.183)||1’36.053|
Sauber drivers’ lap times throughout the race:
Kobayashi was one of several drivers caught out by the red flag in Q2 and took 13th on the grid.
He passed Jaime Alguersuari for tenth and ran a two-stop strategy to hold onto the position.
Although he couldn’t keep Vitaly Petrov behind he passed Paul di Resta with four laps to go to claim the final point.
He damaged the nose of his car early on but it did not prove a great problem:
“When I was trying to get close to Adrian [Sutil] on lap 14 we came across another car and I think the driver did not see me. We touched and this was when I got a hole in the car?óÔé¼Ôäós nose.
“Technically it was not a problem to drive with that, but practically quite a lot of dust and dirt came into the cockpit. My white overalls looked awfully dirty in the end, but this is obviously not important.”
Sergio Perez out-qualified his team mate for the first time but picked up two drive-through penalties during the race.
The first came after he collided with Sutil, which he apologised for: “Most importantly I?óÔé¼Ôäóm very sorry for the accident with Adrian ?óÔé¼ÔÇ£ I am sorry for him and sorry for my team. At this time in the race I wanted to get the most out of my tyres, as I was under pressure from Vitaly [Petrov], so was quite aggressive.
“Unfortunately I lost the rear when I was already on the inside of Adrian and crashed into him. It is a real shame because, as I said before, this weekend I felt a lot more comfortable with the car than ever before.”
His second penalty appears to have been for his collision with Nick Heidfeld. An FIA stewards’ statement (PDF link) says no action was taken, however the team believe that is what the penalty was issued for.
2011 Chinese Grand Prix
- Hamilton: ‘It’s sweeter to win by overtaking’
- 2011 Chinese Grand Prix: complete race weekend review
- Who was the best driver of the Chinese GP weekend?
- McLaren: Button’s pit mistakes almost cost Hamilton
- Red Bull: Poor qualifying gives strategy advantage to Webber
- Ferrari: Montezemolo demands reaction after poor result
- Mercedes: Rosberg beats Ferraris despite fuel worries
- Renault: Points salvaged after poor qualifying
- Sauber: Two penalties in one race for Perez
- Lotus: Kovalainen joins in midfield battle
Image ?é?® Sauber F1 Team